5 Points Monument
Artist: George Beasley
(b. Ironton, OH, 1943, r. Atlanta)
Thirty-six feet in height, the Five Points Monument commemorates the historic intersection where trolley tracks and an artesian water tower once stood, as well as the five streets that intersect to form the heart of Downtown Atlanta. The sculpture is an asymmetric interpretation of the water tower’s traditional girder construction, its structural steel trusses alluding to the trolley tracks now buried below the street. An adjacent smaller sculpture displays texts that focus on the history and destination of each of the five streets forming the intersection: Peachtree, Edgewood, Decatur, Whitehall (South Peachtree), and Marietta. Bronze panels reference the area’s history through text, maps, and other formal data. Georgia State University, located in the Five Points area, maintains the sculpture.
MATERIALS: Galvanized mild steel, bronze, granite, paint
Sculpture – 36 feet total height
Base – 7’-7” w x 15’-8” d
Signage – 3’-5” w x 7’-6” h
|Palmer Engineering Company
|The Atlanta History Center
||Historic Interpretive Consultant
|Georgia State Sculpture Studio
|Phoenix Crane Rental Co.
|Van Winkle & Company, Inc.
Central Metal Company
TNEMEC Company, Inc.
Peachtree, Marietta and Decatur Streets and Edgewood Avenue
Corporation for Olympic Development in Atlanta (CODA)