Click Here to Return to Map

11 || Hardy Ivy Park / Peachtree Corridor / Downtown

Carnegie Education Atlanta

Carnegie Education Atlanta

 

 

Carnegie Education Pavillion
Architect: Jova/Daniels/Busby
(organized Atlanta, 1966)

This beaux-arts pavilion was created from the intricate facade of the downtown Carnegie Central Library, which was built in 1901 and demolished in 1977 to make way for the Fulton County Library that now stands at that site. Fortunately, these architectural bays were preserved and ultimately used to create this elegant 23 foot square pavilion in 1996. In homage to the Carnegie legacy, it is a monument to higher education in Atlanta with the seals of nine local area colleges and universities embedded in the pavilion floor.

The pavilion is located in the newly refurbished Hardy Ivy Park at the northern termination of Peachtree Street downtown before it turns northeastward at Baker Street.


Photo Credit: Neil Dent

MATERIALS: Marble

DIMENSIONS: 23’-4” w x 23’-4” d x approximately 30’ h

CONSULTANTS:

Nimrod Long & Associates Landscape Architect
Haines, Gipson & Associates, Inc. Structural Engineer
Bradberry Studios Installer
Studio Grafika Graphic Design
The Flagler Company General Contractor

LOCATION:
Hardy Ivy Park, West Peachtree and Peachtree Streets

COMMISSIONING ORGANIZATION:
Corporation for Olympic Development in Atlanta (CODA)
Installation: 1996


Photo Credit: Neil Dent